Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Big Bird

Terror Bird
28mm scale


This large and muscular flightless bird could be a species of Gastornis/Diatryma (55 mya) or the more recent and savage Phorusrhacid Titanis (1.5 mya).  


I included this amazing Antediluvian Miniatures figure almost as an afterthought when I ordered Mary Anning.  They have some other really nice looking prehistoric creature figures referencing the history of paleontology itself.

The filming of "Lemurian Explorers", 1928: Burt Hardcastle couldn't help feeling that this was awfully realistic for a special effect...




8 comments:

  1. Nasty things!

    I remember my days playing ARK videogame and boy, I'd take Spinosaurus or T-Rex encounter instead, hands down.

    The 'terror' part on their name isn't fortuitous.

    Amazing painting, reminds me of the scientific approach of dinotopia paintings. Last pic is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it, enough to compare it to Dinotopia 😮

      I had to look up the game and I can see why they were alarming opponents. Anything really big, you can kind of deke around it. But when they're human size they're basically just something dangerous right in your face coming at you...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the transitions are really sweet, I love those feathers and the whole colour combo. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually painted the brown on with my airbrush! It's pretty old and temperamental, but I managed to get a good blend between the white and the brown as a result.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like Airbrush Rodeo 😆 BTW got the same Trang bot spamming around my place too. 🤦‍♂️

      Delete
  4. What a beauty. Reminds me of those books I read as a child. I was crazy about cavemen and the wildlife around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was always more into dinosaurs as a kid. Pretty standard, I guess. Now I definitely get the appeal of Baluchitherium, giant sloths, terror birds, weird ass rhino things etc.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!