Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Wolf Clan - the Red and the Black

Werewolf
28 mm

Hallelujah when the moon is up
We are werewolves, all we need is blood
Take a silver bullet for your shot

We're immortal, all we fear is god!



I'm very much a "f*** it, it's done" kind of painter, so this doesn't happen very often: after posting this figure here, I received some very helpful feedback, and took it back to the painting desk.

On the original post, my official Most Loyal Reader, Javi of Lazyminis, bluntly told me "your werewolf isn't bloody enough, and that severed hand looks like a cheap Halloween prop".  And he was, unsurprisingly, RIGHT. I couldn't un-see it.


Anyway, I think it looks much better now. I avoided real grand guignol with blood splattered from head to toe, but he's definitely torn something up.  And, it turns out the key to truly ghastly gore is mixing red and black...

"... I'd like to meet his tailor."
Thanks, Javi.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Fantastic work! The eyes looks really realistic and fearsome!!
    The blood effect is also great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad the blood worked out, even though I don't have any special products or inks (which seem to be the preferred method of the expert painters) on hand.

      Delete
  2. I think Bibli's comment sums it up: supposedly you "just" added blood but look how it tweaks the general feel of the figure: now his gaze have a complete new layer of expression, yet being the same seen before but with a blood splatter over.

    Layers of extra info don't stop there, now you have more visual interest points being the contrast between textures as the blood is glossy and the wolf isn't.

    I hope neither it took you an awful amount of time nor my comments feel pushy. I like it better now, it's something Tom Savini would be proud of.

    On stuff used, you really can just use ink, paint and gloss medium or varnish. The eldritch paint (now long forgotten) for that was tamiya clear red but as you said there's plenty of effects paint right now.

    A month ago I used the greenstuff world one, might take pics a write a few lines to help decide whether it's necessary or not compared to your homebrew blood.

    Play on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not pushy! Invaluable :D As you say, look how it changed the figure.

      Delete
  3. Great work! A very intense look achieved on it's face. Looks vicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Kilt! These blood effects! Damn, you are a true master with your brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As well as the overall paint job is, more importantly you absolutely nailed his eyes. That alone makes this an excellent piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!