Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Undead Bosses

Lich and Mummy Lord
28mm

Carving your way through the horde of inept, shambling skeletons and zombies, you sense a greater malevolence at work.  Not a human necromancer, but a supremely evil intelligence, itself risen from beyond the grave...



These two sinister figures are actually a set from WizKids Deep Cuts.  Although rather an odd figure, the mummy was fun and easy to paint.. and I like the translucent cloud that attaches to its base to give it a bit of a dramatic appearance.

The Lich's pose and the rising figure at the base appealed to me, but I felt that the sculpt's tidy robes didn't suit the character. So I draped it with PVA-soaked tissues and scraps of cheesecloth to produce a grungy and decayed appearance suggesting a long interment in the earth..


FYI I'm still playing catch-up with blog posts, but in the next few weeks I hope to have presented everything I painted this year...




8 comments:

  1. I was going to say, these aren’t newly painted :p

    The mummy looks great, but I’m still a little torn on clear effects on miniatures - probably because when I paint the clear bit will be the only realistic looking bit, showing up my painting even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess the thing about clear effects is that you can always just paint over them if you don't like them. That's what I did with the magical fumes or whatever coming from the Lich's hand. I didn't really have a good plan for it so I just made it OSL. A good choice, in hindsight 🤔

      Delete
  2. Oh, the mummy looks great, but the robed skeleton rising is fantastic! I need to experiment that technique, I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's definitely a whole movement of "the grungier the better" in miniature painting right now. I think that it's an artistic reaction to decades of being told that our blends aren't buttery smooth enough 😄. I follow a number of miniature painters on Instagram who enjoy making everything look like it just crawled out of combination of battlefield mud, feces, and decaying corpses. And honestly, a lot of the results look fantastic.

      Delete
  3. Love what you did with Lich!
    So frigging sinister!
    just like he just left the tomb! 💀❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both great, loving that mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cheese cloth turned out great, so much texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It IS possible to overdo grunginess... I've seen a few pieces where so much texture was applied that the original sculpt was basically gone. But this worked surprisingly well; I was willing to tear it apart again if it didn't 🤷‍♂️

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!