Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Life in the Mythos

Priest of the Yellow King

28 mm

“This is the thing that troubles me, for I cannot forget Carcosa where black stars hang in the heavens; where the shadows of men's thoughts lengthen in the afternoon, when the twin suns sink into the lake of Hali; and my mind will bear for ever the memory of the Pallid Mask. I pray God will curse the writer, as the writer has cursed the world with its beautiful stupendous creation, terrible in its simplicity, irresistible in its truth--a world which now trembles before the King In Yellow.”
― Robert W Chambers, The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories



This cultist of the King in Yellow is a piece from the board game "Mansions of Madness".  I made the crude idol he worships before in the style of a similar one that appeared in "True Detective".



Crawling One

28mm scale

“Great holes secretly are digged where earth’s pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.” - HP Lovecraft, "The Festival"



Crawling Ones are created when dead wizards or evil mystics die and their remains consumed by masses of worms and invertebrates.  Their evil life essence possesses the mass of creatures, forming a humanoid mass of squirming horror.  This is another "Mansions of Madness" figure.

2 comments:

  1. That's brilliant! I really like how you tied the priest to the Yellow King. I have the Mansions of Madness game and panted my cultists in a way more generic way, I think your approach is fantastic. The same goes for the idol, I simply love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I interpreted the head of his staff/wand as the Yellow Sign, and just took it from there. Despite being plastic game pieces, these miniatures are actually really good. Very detailed, and interesting characters. I have a few more assorted weirdos still to paint up 😁

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!