Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The sincerest form of flattery pt. 2

Ejhin de Vanth
28mm

Fear of the dark
Fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that something's always near

This Rackham Confrontation miniature has been kicking around my collection since... Confrontation was the newest and coolest thing, years ago.  It just never jumped out at me to be painted.  But, as they say... every dog has its day.

I've been following the amazing work of Matthias Radtke, aka @gravewraithterrain on Instagram for a while.  As well as experimenting with unusual materials and textures, his smoldering, dark paint jobs contrasted with intense light effects are both immediately eye-catching, and piqued my artistic interest.  So many of my works are bright... I wanted to try and duplicate his technique, and produce my own thing of sinister darkness.  And this arcanely creepy sorceress was a good sculpt to work from.

I think it worked pretty well... considering I have little practice emulating others' styles, and I deliberately asked for a minimum of technical advice from Mr. Radtke (who was, however, happy to oblige).  The eldritch green glow and filthy smoke coming off her staff was both the first thing I did here, and a great focal point for the figure.

This was a fulfilling hobby project, and I'm pleased to say, a quick one! I didn't agonize over blending or pumping my highlights up to eleven, just matching the grim mood and spectacular depth of my inspiration.  The results are at least fairly close to what I was hoping for.

 To conclude, this is where I plug the Grave Wraith Terrain Etsy store, if anyone's interested in owning one of Matthias' many lovely works.

6 comments:

  1. You did great work on this one!
    Not evenmentioning "the spell" restis just so grim and dark! 🤘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, love the muted color palette offset with the eldritch green smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's spectacular. I'm not familiar with the original source material, so this is my first contact and... well, you made an impression!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I missed that one! Miniature? - pure darkness! Quoting Iron Maiden? - I'd like to have a beer with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!