Pages

Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Paws of Sorcery

Solan, Persian Warlock

28mm scale

Solan paced the perimeter of the summoning circle, uttering the words of power that would draw forth an entity from the planes beyond ours.  One mistake and the spell would fail, or worse, the spirit would escape, free to perform whatever mischief it chose on our world... and the spellcaster who sought to bind it.  Solan's protective wards and potions were formulated with this in mind...

I had a hard time deciding which of my Cats & Catacombs figures to paint after my monk and fighter pair... but since I tend to have a shortage of magic-users in my display case, this guy was a great choice!  He has a distinctive pacing, slightly curved posture, which fits perfectly with a summoning circle on his base to give him a bit of a story.


Removing this little guy from his attached base was a very good idea; I don't know if you could even paint his belly completely without doing it.

 The bottles are from the same WizKids Deep Cuts purchase as the lighted cauldron I posted earlier (though these are from the wizard's accessories).  I drilled them out and painted the inside surfaces to make them look filled with liquid; the plastic's a bit soft and oddly hard to drill cleanly. But the result works, I think.



6 comments:

  1. Well done! Very clever drilling out the bottles, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not totally pleased with this paint job, but I am happy that I tried something new and it worked okay.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this was unexpected, but it's lovely! You certainly master that white fur, it's subtle and natural, I can't take my eyes from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My "white" base coat is always a light grey tone (or tan for a warmer white). Then I work up from that, and do a bit of judicious shading like on the tail here. My unicorn is another good example of this.

      Delete
  3. Wow ... that's great painting Allison. Simply superb!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!