Pages

Monday, December 21, 2020

Oldhammer Original

Mercenary Abbadon
28mm

They say he was there at the beginning.  One of the originals; witnessed the birth of the Imperium.  But that's impossible... he's just a man, a lowly spacer.  Still, the glitchy old holos don't lie; there he is.



This figure is easily one of the most vintage models I own.  First appearing in 1987, the sculpt dates all the way back to the early days of Citadel Miniatures' "Rogue Trader", when there was a lot less rigid backstory or structure to their catalog.  Later, the Rogue Trader universe became the skull-piled Warhammer 40,000 we all know and (problematically) love, and street-level characters like Abbadon, Plunderino Pete, and Irn-Bonce the Squat are now a thing of the past...

1987: first appearance as "Ground Combat Trooper".
 

... then "Abbadon" a few months later.
 

It's an odd sculpt, hunched and bandy-legged with a very vague helmeted face that's almost skeletal.  But I like it, it has a grimy working-class-in-space appeal.

I picked this model up years ago, and a recent post by Matt S. of Oldenhammer in Toronto spurred me to paint it up.  I love his bold, lively painter's hand, and I think this paint job is definitely influenced by it.  I tried not to mimic his version of the figure, but the shoulder patches are identical as a small homage.

(Abbadon's name was of course recycled for a much different, more skull-licious 40k character later on)

"How long were you out there, old timer?... Hmm, a man of few words, I guess."


4 comments:

  1. Oh, that's fantastic! It's a rare mini indeed. It's kind of a Rogue Trooper Souther Infantry taken to Rogue Trader, and I love the treatment of colours you achieved here. Vibrant and excellent looking. Pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this guy! Great mini and great paint job. Love the back drop too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on the vintage mini. Nice contrast between the greens and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abaddon! Wow!
    I'm so happy you were partly inspired by my post to paint him too. I love the colour scheme you chose -- the dynamic range in the orange is beautifully rendered. It's also a great contrast with his grim little face behind its grim little window.
    Well, you've made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!