Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Bump in the Night

HP Lovecraft, Paranormal Investigator
28mm

I opened the door and went out in the gallery toward the stairs to my study, ******-Man following at my heels. Before we had reached the stone steps, however, the cat darted ahead of me and vanished down the ancient flight. As I descended the stairs myself, I became suddenly aware of sounds in the great room below; sounds of a nature which could not be mistaken. The oak-panelled walls were alive with rats, scampering and milling, whilst ******-Man was racing about with the fury of a baffled hunter.  
- "The Rats in the Walls"



Another great Bears Head figure, of the (in)famous horror writer H.P. Lovecraft as an investigator in his own mythos. Accompanying him here is his brave cat of unspeakable name, ready to take on any paranormal threat to his master.



This is actually the second figure of Lovecraft I've painted.  It's perhaps less dramatic than the first, but I think I might actually like it even more.  The face is less gaunt and exaggerated and he has a lot of gaming potential for those who play mythos games.  The cat is an old Reaper familiar which I think really adds a lot to his character (as well as referencing the classic HPL story "The Rats in the Walls").

"He went that way!"
(Cultists courtesy of winnipegmichael!)

6 comments:

  1. Truly marvelous, this indeed a great mini, he looks as if he's carefully searching for something and he looks as if he just walked out of the screen of a horror movie.
    Even the cat looks scared or agitated.
    Your intro story is also spot on.
    Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! The cat is one of those figures I held on to for years, knowing it would be PERFECT for some future project... and it was!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh, the master of horror himself. Je looks great, Allison. I'm sure Cthulhu will spare you when the day comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You of course mean "...will eat me first".

      Delete
  3. Mnn... Though as nails.
    I think I like the one better. I like the paint job but I have hard times figuring out how a man like him could ever get into actual action.

    The older I get the less I feel about pulp Lovecraft. I mean, stuff that was shapeless (feeling horror about the cold in a room) lost all the magic on the they (RPGs) gave them otherworldly dudes stats so you could actually shot the crap out cthulhu or dragon's ass with a rocket launcher, a nuke, you name it.

    Great mini tho :)

    /Rant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the OLDER one better, I meant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!