Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Ursus arctos horribilis

Grizzly Bear
28mm scale

The bare necessities
That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life




Philip Hynes' animal sculpts are really incredible; more wildlife art than gaming figures, really.  I got this lovely figure as a miscast in my Bears' Head Miniatures order.  I just had to fill some large bubbles on its stomach and do some dental work.  North American brown bears come in a variety of coat colours, so I had a fair bit of leeway in that regard; this reddish hue was a purely esthetic choice.


The base is an ambitious improvement on my old "Italian seasoning forest base" method... I added some fallen North American tree species and woodland flowers to liven it up a bit.  This was a really enjoyable project; expressive, beautiful, and quite a change from my usual subject matter.

Living her be(a)st life...

8 comments:

  1. Awesome work! The Bear and base are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is excellent. The bear looks almost real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a really cool model, with an equally fabulous paint job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I take little credit for how it turned out... It's mostly the sculpt! I won't lie, I struggled trying to figure out how to paint this fur texture. I didn't resort to drybrushing, but it's not as tidy as I'd have liked it to be. I concentrated a lot on the expressiveness of the head and face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That base! He looks really alive, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On many other figures, this base would be my favourite part :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I concur, not only the paintjob is great, the base is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!