Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Children of the 80's

As a kid in the 80s, I played with the classic 80's toys - especially GI Joe and Transformers - almost every day.  In the last while I've run into the blogs of a few hobbyists who are tabletop-gaming 28mm GI Joe...  It's a pretty cool idea, and presents the chance for lots of fun hobby projects.  From Katsuhiko Jinnai's "The Realm of Jinnai":




Wow... stunning work, and nostalgia overload :O  I am unsure where he gets all these amazing figures; some are clearly conversions but many seem to be custom sculpts?!

Now I've found a very cool new thing.:

For Cobraaaaa!

For Eterniaaaaa!

Like Jinnai, Doctor Merkury does a lot of converting to produce his Joes... and He-Man characters!  And my personal fave: he 3-D prints Transformers!  What?!





As a bonus, both these bloggers are fantastic photographers who use backdrops and terrain pieces to maximum effect showing off their work... which I can really appreciate :D

8 comments:

  1. I've seen those too. There's lots of stuff from Doc Mercury here, I love his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for bringing these to my attention Allison.
    This is some great stuff, the Transformer are magnificent and I haven't seen any GI Joe stuff with a better paintjob than these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easily 3 of my fave childhood toons / toylines in the same post! Wow, kinda hyped now...

    Might try something related soon, got some playschool autobots (they do fit my cheesy style) around screaming for a paintjob.

    Thanks 4 the heads-up. Nice to see these kind of posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Javi! I'd def be interested in your take on "chibi" Transformers XD

      Delete
  4. Nice to know you liked my painted gi joe miniatures :)
    The gi joe miniatures are not conversions, but metal miniatures I bought from a private commission (still available but for copyright reasons I could not give more informations). Also most of the gi joe miniatures painted by dr merkury are from the same private manufacturer, the motu miniatures are officially available for sale from quest miniatures. The transformers miniatures were available from the australian game bot war!, but at the moment they are discontinued. The gi joe vehicles are 3d prints while the hiss tank is a conversion of the Running press hiss tank toy (with accessories done from the same private manufacturer that commissioned the gi joe miniatures). I painted 18 transformers miniatures too (you can see them in my blog) and I have many more still to paint ;) (as for the gi joes, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!