Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ain't no party like a boarding party

... 'cause a boarding party don't stop until all hostiles on the target vessel are neutralized or captured.

Cultural Collective marines and breaching drone
15 mm


"Maintain spacing!  Watch your angles!  Advance on my mark."

While life as a citizen of the Cultural Collective is generally one of fulfilling work and hedonistic leisure in a low-scarcity economy, utopia is not without consequence.  In addition to its overt and covert diplomatic interaction with other galactic powers, the CC is constantly engaged in a variety of low-level military endeavours against renegades, pirates, rebellious elements, and adjacent domains with whom it is not officially at war.
 

No citizen is compelled to serve in the CC's armed forces.  Instead, service simply appeals to a certain subset of the population who enjoy the the combination of action, violence, and relatively low personal risk due to advanced weapons and armour.  Periodic excesses may occur, but the average CC resident considers these a small price to pay for freedom and security, if they are aware of them at all.
 

I decided to keep a cool blue "authentically military" look for these guys, with only the white helmets to offset it and tie them in with the robot.  The yellow markings* on the bases (colour printed and slightly weathered with paint) help with both colour contrast and visual unity.

* The square yellow signs are tiny versions of "Autonomous Device" and "Self-Replicating System" from this interesting collection of future warning signs - good eye-candy for any industrial or military sci-fi scenery :)

9 comments:

  1. Part-ay! Nice work, and I like the scenery in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely painted and I have to agree with Barks - that scenery is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I was surprised to find you used hex bases. Allways loved them but never gave 'em a go...

    Top notch painting and the scenic picture (reminds me of star wars posts seen here time ago) sure enhaces it. Somehow I miss freehand, maybe some markings on the bot, numbers or a strip... I guess warnings on the floor makes up for it.

    And speaking of wich, great resource, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As for the freehand, mostly sheer laziness I'll admit, but I also liked the clean white look once it was done. I guess I can always add some numbers or markings later if I change my mind.

      Delete
  4. The hex bases are truly something refreshing. You don't see these very often except on heavy gear and battletech miniatures.
    Good choice of colours, fits in nicely with the background (which reminds me a lot of the first Star Trek series).
    You should have posted these up for the Clearhorizon contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the hex based on Battletech too :) Somewhat unusual for sure. These ones are just thin laser cut plywood parts from a local wood craft store, I think people use them for wooden toys and dollhouse furniture, stuff like that.

      These actually were going to be my contest entry for Titanium Dropship... but by the time they arrived there was only a week left, and that's no time at all around here :P I think my actual entry ended up being more unique, even if it didn't win anything ;)

      Delete
  5. Lovely paintjobs and the background for them as well as your photo's backdrop are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! A cool uniform color; and a great interior scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Believe it or not they're basecoated with "Space Wolf Blue Grey", original Citadel paint from c. 1989. I'll be sad when that bottle dries up.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!