Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Galactic Detente

The Envoys Shorah and Darsoomi

28mm 

"The Terran philosopher wilrogers reportedly said 'Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock'.  Not surprising, as Terrans are among the least diplomatic species I've ever met.  Still, they captured the existential importance of interstellar negotiation where, if consensus cannot be reached, the rocks sometimes arrive at a good fraction of the speed of light." - 3S'lith, Calamite historian

Shorah is a Bad Squiddo Games figure of Phoolan Devi.  This paint job is definitely inspired by the Expanse's Crisjen Avasarala... and her amazing wardrobe.

 


Darsoomi is a Stargrave figure, the distinctive hat made me think of the work of French graphic artist Moebius (Jean Giraud), so I tried to pay homage to his rich soft pastel palettes.


"Greetings, Envoy. What a generous gesture for you to travel
so very far for this meeting."


7 comments:

  1. Both very appropriate as diplomats from their respective species/governments. The gentle colours and shading really brings out their non-combatant character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really wanted to emphasize that. I'm glad you like them! And thanks for commenting 🙂

      Delete
  2. Oh, both are truly fantastic. I thought of Avasarala as soon as I saw the first mini, but I find the second one particularly interesting. It does have a Moebius vibe indeed (which makes it awesome!), but it's your paintjob what makes the mini stand out. I may have to get one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like! These are both great sculpts, I was very lucky to have them both in my lead pile and notice the similarity in pose. I think they turned out as a good thematic pair. And they were extremely enjoyable to paint.

      "Darsoomi" is from the Stargrave pack "Fatewinders". https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16474

      Delete
  3. Wow! These gave me strong 'ancyllary justice' vibes. It's like everyone portraits the people in the novels like space Romans but somehow my imagination depicted them were closer to space Hindu. Lovely figs. Super appropriate colour choices. 👌

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read those ones... I'll have to have a look for them. A lot of white people are definitely very Euro/Anglocentric when we form our mental images of characters in books. I wouldn't be surprised if South Asian readers see those books a lot closer to how you do. Anyway glad you like how I did these 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow ... really nice work this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!