Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Massacring Mendicant

Groo the Wanderer
25mm



I loved Groo comics when I was a kid.  I didn't own many but the public library, always mindful of of literary demand, stocked a decent supply. The combination of Sergio Aragonés' distinctive art, murderous slapstick, and ridiculous storylines about the adventures of a total idiot really hit the spot for adolescent me.


I have no idea where I got this figure.  It was presumably either a trade, or I found it in the miscellaneous figures box at my local FLGS (or as they tended then, "smelly nerd cave").  I don't remember ever seeing any of the other Dark Horse Miniatures figures in person... They're all worth a lot of money now, so I'm unlikely to try and expand my collection.

Rufferto, Groo, Chakaal, Sage, Minstrel.  This set would probably
cost a couple of hundred dollars... if anyone would sell it.

"Did you just call Groo a... MENDICANT?!"

7 comments:

  1. Oh my...Sergio Aragonés...

    Speechless. You knew I was going to luv it so hard, didn't you?

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I think it was a safe bet :D

      I feel like Aragones characters would be a good match for YOUR sculpting style... I mean, just saying ;)

      Delete
  2. They are, indeed.
    I
    kinda absorbed every comic strip that fell into my hands, be it Aragonés, Ivà, Nebreda, Ibáñez, Jan, Piñol, Forges... Loved that stuff when I was a child, hence my 'style' of minis which can't really call mine but endemic of old school european comic strips.

    Paint the set already. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set? Lol I wish! You misread my post; there is no set, at least not in my collection. I've never even seen another figure from this line.

      But yes, your style is very reminiscent of mane Euro comics, it's so evident! Okay, maybe you're a bit far from Moëbius, but then again we've got Roman do those kind of figures :)

      Delete
  3. OH! I DIDN'T KNOW THIS EXISTED!
    Haha, that's so great! You nailed it, you really got the character right; really charming and looks great in your personal style. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GROO! Very cool, did not know these were made. Painting is spot on as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool project! I loved Groo comics when I was younger. Super paint job :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!