Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Barbarian Guardian of Eternia

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
28 mm

I'm the master of the world I have no fear of man or beast
Born inside the soul of the world
Riding hard breaking bone with steel and stone
Eternal might I was born to wield.



He-Man! Eternia's greatest hero! Is he a wandering tribesman who was imbued with the power of Castle Greyskull, or is he a noble prince who assumes a secret identity to defend his kingdom?  Only his most trusted companions know for sure...


"Go Herc! Go Herc!"
"Wrong cartoon, buddy, but I appreciate the vote of confidence!"

He-Man is a Quest Miniatures figure.  His base is a custom addition I made, inspired by collectible statuettes like this. I felt that, like Skeletor, his hunched pose needed a height boost so he wasn't crouching below the other characters. I think the result is suitably heroic!


I think this is easily the most ambitious 28mm painting project I've ever undertaken: a group of figures all painted to the highest standard I could manage.  It's been a real challenge, and a satisfying one to finally complete. And definitely a nostalgia trip...

11 comments:

  1. That group shot is absolutely brilliant.

    A wonderfully executed project, give yourself a big ol' pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! Very crisp, vibrant colors and the display is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like your base better than the statuette's as the greenish rock suits better the subject. Greyskull's castle teeth are a superb addition too, I guess you got it right with your sources of inspiration.

    My apologies but again, what I like the most is his weapons. I recall the toy ones being just grey so I read yours as nicely painted old fashioned grey plastic sword, not NMM.

    IMHO higher contrast (Sharp whites and black) would have killed the feel.

    Great cartoon, great mini. I'm super glad you came back to 28mm. I still remember 1st time I saw your stuff at CMoN (my username was javi_metal) so a departure from 15mm from time to time is always nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an amazing collection. I really wish I could bring myself to like those minis, but they just seem thin to me and the posing is a bit off to my tastes. Really like yours tho. I was really excited by Jam Van Schaik's ones but that whole project went to shit. Anyway thats a bit of rambling. Lovely job on some fantastic minis, presented with a lovely backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're very melodramatically posed, and if that's not your taste, it just isn't! Our tastes in miniature sculpts are deeply personal after all; many things that were hugely popular have not appealed to me either :)

      I really wish I knew who the backdrop artist was, so I could credit them... but I found it in a Google image search, and the source was stupid Pinterest :(

      Delete
  5. I knew of this mini, but this is one of the best renditions I've seen of the character. I think you nailed the feel, it looks simply perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel like the iconic shield and chestpiece do a lot of work for this character... Take those away and he's practically just another Nordic barbarian type :D

      Delete
  6. There he is... the only true hero of my childhood! Fantastic job as always, Allison! You have the Power of Grayskull!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic group of minis and He-Man is excellent himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how he's not too over muscular, while still retaining his iconic look. A very dynamic model and he looks so amazing with your brushwork on him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!