Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Ye Who Enter Here

Gothic Gateway
28mm scale

The gargoyles slumber through time
With patience they wait for the sign
These demons of obscurity
Shall fly once again, soon they'll be free

In the abandoned ruins, you come across a shattered arch.  Flanked by blocky pillars and carved grotesques, it once had an elegant crest, now lying in ruins below.  Nothing remarkable seems to lie beyond, but as you pass through, you sense that something has awakened...


When my son gave me a set of Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures gargoyles for Christmas, I knew immediately that I didn't want to just paint them grey and base them.  The arch is blue insulating foam mounted on an MDF base, with dabs of moss made by mixing flock with Mod Podge.  Nice and atmospheric, I think...



10 comments:

  1. Oh, that's quite an inspiring piece! Pretty nice job, I love the vibe it instils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And it was technically so easy, which is always nice.

      Delete
  2. I love what you did here, especially the last photo is very atmosphetic!
    Must give a try to isulation foam terrain pieces - thanks for inspiration 😉

    And cannot wait to get a miniature gift from my kids some day 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Working with foam insulation is not totally easy, you have to use an extremely sharp knife to avoid snags. I use a fresh snap-off utility blade extended to its full length so I can cut through the thickness of the foam.

      The material itself is very cheap even if you have to buy it. But, if you're canny, you can find offcuts of it lying around outside construction sites etc 😄

      I've actually received a few such gifts from my kids... The appearance of a large rack of affordable, plastic figures at the local gaming store makes it a lot easier for them to pick something for me.

      Delete
  3. I have never managed to achieve such greatness with drybrushing... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not that great in person but thanks! I tried to make the highlights fairly directional, so the lower parts of the model are darker and the upper looks moonlit.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!