Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Master Blaster

I got a start on my second Space Bunny Arts figure today... the roguish "Sola Haru".  Another crisp, characterful sculpt from SBA, but initially I was puzzled by her fairly generic handguns.  Plain boxy bodies, round barrels; oddly not up to the standard of the rest of the sculpt...?

And then I realized... they're that way for a reason.  You're supposed to do things to them.  And so I chose the obvious route, making them look as much like a certain space smuggler's iconic pistol as possible.  Some fussy work, and bits from my trusty 1:700 Soviet navy spare parts sprue, and voila:




Obviously, you could easily go a different route.  Perhaps something more Western-inspired, or stubby and ugly-looking.  Sometimes with an off-the-shelf figure, "less is more"...

7 comments:

  1. You nailed it! I don't think you could have gone any other way! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I just finished a Firefly set, but this figure could easily be taken in a more "Malcolm Reynolds" direction.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful how you changed something you didn't like to something that looks almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been some very fiddly work. But it is gorgeous. I also like whatever is happening on that base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just your standard sci-fi industrial trip hazards ;)

      Thank for comments people... this one might be a while finishing because summer is a busy time. Happy painting in the good natural light, everyone :D

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!