Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Deaf forever to the battle's din

Scrap Thrall and Necro Captain
28mm

Win or lose, naught to choose
All men are equal when their memory fades
No one knows, friend or foes
if Valhalla lies beyond the grave


The undead come in many forms... whether reanimated by sheer will and hatred, arcane necromancy, or the unnatural sciences, they lurch malevolently through the world, formidable foes for the living...

 

These two figures have been stuck in my lead pile for many years, because I just don't paint many skeletons!  But I wanted something spooky to paint for October, so here they are.  An odd couple, to be sure; I went with thematically matching paint jobs while giving each one a distinctive look.  I'm glad I'd learned the foam smoke technique I used here, I can't imagine the Thrall looking right without it.


The creaking, smoking minion wasn't much help searching the
swamp, but the Necro Captain did rely on it to mindlessly savage
any enemies they might encounter

10 comments:

  1. Wow! There's something called composition and weight: be it a sculpture or a drawing to get an eye pleasing product you have to tweak and balance stuff to be harmonic.

    Knowing that I find really odd that the original figure hadn't that, which adds interest (horizontal stuff contrasting vertical figure like sword does for the other thrall).

    It's not about whether you painted it amazingly or not It's that you added visual value and interest, modifying it's shape to a better readable object.

    Eye gets bored easy, that's why top painters give eyes something to sink in AND nurture eyes' path thru the subject

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks javi! The Thrall figure is kind of just a hunched troll-like character. The three big smoke stacks on the back don't really make sense unless there's smoke coming out of them, and having it blowing away in the wind it does give an additional sense of motion. That's kind of what I was going for.

      Delete
  2. These are fucking brilliant!
    I love 'em!!! ๐Ÿ˜

    And the last pic is just epic - you really should make a post card of it! ๐Ÿ’€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! I cabbaged some dry ice from work and spent way too much time pouring mist across my photo setup trying to get that shot.

      Delete
  3. That's one of the best sculpts of smoke I ever saw ... and you painted it to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, I love the way you present your minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚. This was, I'll admit, a bit more work than usual but the result was pretty cool. I even have some short videos of them standing there in the "swamp" while the mist swirls around them. Not sure what to do with those.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work, very grim looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Grim seems to be my flavour lately ๐Ÿค”

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!