Pages

Sunday, October 04, 2020

Doctor Death

Plague Doctor
28 mm


Ah, the classic medieval plague doctor.  Robed and masked to prevent infection, he might show up at your bedside to poke your armpits with a long stick and inevitably deliver tragic news to your loved ones.  Or he might... roam around the muddy streets with a skull on a chain, just being generally creepy.  Since they hadn't invented golf yet.

 


I actually love this figure, despite its odd choice of accessories.  The original CP Models figure had a ball and chain, but I felt that was pretty non sequitur, so I sculpted a (somewhat lantern-jawed) skull over it to provide a visual focus on what I'd already planned to be a very dark-coloured character.

 


 

I mixed a very brownish black for his robes, and a straight black for his mask; a subtle difference that's supposed to indicate the difference between fabric and leather, but is of course completely invisible in these photos.  Oh well...


Of course it's raining... it's always raining...

Happy Spooktober!

9 comments:

  1. Very grim piece of miniature, very accurate 😁😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it- the change from the ball and change is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, I painted one this year too in honour of [gestures vaguely around] everything this year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Allison. I like what you can do with just one colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evetytime you take a step further and sculpt even a tiny bit you got my attention like lamps got moths' 🦋

    Mmnn lamps!

    Despite everything looking jet black, mask feels colder and robes warmer. I like that. The contrast the skull delivers is a plus.

    May be wrong but these masks weren't about not getting infected but not smelling the dead. These bird like iconic 'beaks' were filled w/ aromatic plants so the could work with dead people without puking every 2 minutes🤢

    The last pic of your posts is a trademark now. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > these masks weren't about not getting infected but not smelling the dead

      I think at the time, these were considered the same thing, no? They thought diseases could spread through "bad air" or malodorous vapours?

      I'm glad you like that last pic! I'm very happy with how it turned out too but it was honestly a low-effort setup. I just printed somebody else's art as a backdrop, put black paper under the figure, and applied a rain layer in Gimp. Thanks as always for your comment and insight... and kind words :D I'll make sure and try to sculpt more ;)

      Delete
  6. I have to concur, there's a different quality on the hues of black, I find this particular work amazing :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work! He looks good and gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An apt subject matter for the grim times we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!