Pages

Saturday, August 08, 2020

The magic of nature

Forest witch and her familiars
28 mm

Colors swirl in spiral skies
The trees stare back with willful eyes
The night doesn't frighten me
Cast a stone cast an eye
Water mirrors never lie
The earth is firm beneath your feet



This Bears Head figure took a while to grow on me once I had it in hand - I liked it, but didn't know exactly what to do with it. Luckily, I'd also bought an assortment of Philip Hynes' amazing animal figures, including this adorable little rabbit and squirrel!

 

I won't lie, I was watching a lot of "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" while painting this, but its vision of witches who by and large behave like Christians and just add "Satanic" in front of everything ("Satanic blessing", "dark baptism"... "evil church camp?") obviously didn't move me so much. So here she is, a crone in touch with nature and the living things of the deep woods. She may have her own morality, but I don't think she's hosting any Dark Baptisms or roasting any babies...

"You're outnumbered, witch!"
"You think death has any power here?  In my world, surrounded by life?

Happy little trees
28 mm scale

I also made my first trees! I used the basic method from this video (including homemade clump foliage), but there are lots of other good foliage and tree tutorials out there.  They're a bit sparse, but I think I achieved a somewhat natural look.

Definitely little.  Perhaps happy.

"I hope that's not releasing some kind of fumes" - my wife


13 comments:

  1. I don't know where to start. The witch skin looks great, but the clothes are perfect. And then I see the rabbit & squirrel and it's like 'oh, wow'. I really love every bit here.
    I'm having a look at that tutorial, I'm intrigued by the oven part (not that I think I'll be allowed to use it!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! And thank you, but I'm afraid that up close she doesn't merit such high praise. I had a bit of trouble with some details. I enjoyed doing all these, but honestly the little critters were the most fun!

    As for the oven, I warmed the glue/paint-soaked foam GENTLY, at 170ºF... less than 100ºC. It took a while to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on the witch and the possession eyed squirrel! Also love that you have an old school Chaos Sorcerer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like!

      That Chaos Sorcerer is one of my prized possessions... kind of evil but just a bit goofy too. I always wanted one from the old days, and finally found one on eBay that wasn't bid up to a completely stupid price. I have a few other Citadel classics that I really should paint up some time.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work sir! The witch is great! I love the dark green shade of the dress! The small creatures are really evil with that white eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously fantastic. The picture with here surrounded by the evil doers is inspiring. Is that a photoshopped background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not photoshopped, just colour printed and set behind a bunch of moss :)

      Delete
  6. Followers (111) Blogwalking here from Malaysia. Regards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work on the female figurine :)
    And be sure to clean that oven after using it with your hobby stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work on the witch, Allison. The skin tones are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking at her now, I rather want to do a dark-skinned version. IMO she'd kind of have a Nichelle Nichols thing going on.

      Delete
  10. Really nice to se a proper female figure every now and then... You know, a woman that hasn't be forcefully between her teens or 20s looking pretty.

    Figure and paint job work really well together: the palette, her skin tone... Everything set a mood even if those are figures not a diorama.

    I have to admit tho, that while I love round lipped bases, they resist being picked up from the table.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!