Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Nec-romance on the Nile

Mummy Couple
28 mm

My boyfriend's back
and you're gonna be in trouble



I recently picked up this charming pair of mummies from Bears Head Miniatures' latest Kickstarter.  I've enjoyed painting mummies in the past; they're usually a quick job because it's hard to fuss over something that's basically a bundle of leathery skin and brittle rags.  That said, I really like these lurching, malevolent sculpts, so make them a bit special I gave them some hieroglyphic bases:


I'll admit, I don't think these say anything in particular, I just picked some symbols that weren't too hard to make. The one on the right does contain part of the cartouche of Thutmose III, so perhaps that's who the male here is (prior to his final rest in the Cairo Museum)...

Exploring a newly-unearthed tomb, Lord Smedley-Smythe
was sure the rustling he heard was just the wind...


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! The thing is, they look really good but they weren't actually hard to make at all. I just kind of poked the designs into greenstuff with a pointy stick; a method I can recommend to modelers of every skill level XD

      Delete
  2. Nice bases!

    The sculpting on these...wow, they sure look evil in a vengeful way.

    Aside from the bases I like the dirtier rags. On the other hand, loved your previous mummy skin: once you've seen a real mummy you can't picture them like zombies in rags anymore. The darker the skin the better IMHO. I remember them being pure black indeed. Creepy as hell.

    Poor Smythe 😆 awesome pic it just lacks the texture of old flicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like! Yes, the sculpts are great. Very dynamic and aggressive.

      I considered "old movie" texture on the last pic, but ran out of fucks to give. Smythe is actually *painted in greyscale*, and I didn't have access to the colour copier at work to print the scenery in colour anyway. So, "old timey" it is!

      Delete
  3. Eeek! Scary! I do like too the touch on them, the skin and tones. Pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They simply look fantastic - The glowing eyes, the bandages, the bases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic mummies! I love their bases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for forever changing the way I look at the word Necromancer for the rest of my life :P :) An all round great job - both figurines and base look really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!